You don't have to hire a lawyer to get a little good legal advice.

Starting an L&I Claim- A Beginners’ Guide to Job Injuries

Hurt on the Job – What Do I Do?

  • See a doctor
  • File an L&I claim
  • Secure time loss
  • Continue your medical care
  • Return to work or get vocational training
  • Settle your L&I claim

How To File an L&I Claim in Washington State

Claim filing is simple. After you have had a job injury or occupational exposure, you see the doctor and in his office you and he together fill out the Report of Accident (ROA) form. The doctor should file this paperwork. The important part is to see a doctor who listens, cares about your situation, and wants to help with your L&I claim.

Be Careful About Some Doctor’s Offices

  • See the wrong doctor and he or she will ruin your claim.
  • Under RCW 51.36.010 the worker is entitled to free choice of treating provider.  This is important! You do not have to use the doctor or work clinic your employer recommends.  The doctor who files your claim if he or she continues to treat you will be your attending physician. The attending physician has a lot of say about how much help you are going to get while you are injured. Pick your own doctor carefully.
  • Before you get started ask the doctor’s office if they take L&I claims and treat L&I patients. Some don’t. If they don’t, then find another doctor.
  • Double check on your way out that they have or will file a report of injury for you. Get the claim number.

L&I Benefit Information

Money Benefits

Getting Healthy and Back to Work

L&I Benefit Summary

L&I Benefit Summary – Additional information with easy to understand summaries.

L&I Claim Basics

Timely filing of your claim is very important. Not all L&I claims are the same. The information below will help.

Watch Out For

Mistakes with your L&I claim can be fatal. Read this for ideas on how to avoid a mistake.

What if I Need Legal Help

What’s Next?