You don't have to hire a lawyer to get a little good legal advice.

Travel Expense Reimbursement

Travel expense reimbursement is a benefit which some injured workers are eligible to receive. The benefit is small, and only  in some circumstances. The highlights of these rules follow.

When Do You Get Reimbursement for Travel?

  • Travel to and from medical examinations at department’s or self-insurer’s request (IME’s)
  • Travel to and from vocational services at department’s or self-insurer’s request
  • Travel to and from fitting of prosthetic device
  • Travel to and from your medical treatment – with prior authorization
  • Travel to and from your vocational training  – with prior authorization

How Do You Get Reimbursed?

  • Travel Reimbursement Request Form – Your request must be made within one year of the trip and must indicate the date, destination, and reason for travel. Reimbursement Request
  • Save Receipts! Receipts are required for all expenses except parking expenses under $10.

What is a Travel Expense?

  • Lodging, food, mileage, taxi, parking, tolls, etc.

When and How Much Travel Expense is Reimbursed?

  • Travel expenses will be reimbursed at the current Department rate, subject to the  Travel Rules below.
  • The L&I travel reimbursement rules can be found at WAC 296-20-1103.
  • Reimbursement is based on the current Domestic Per Diem rates. See Reimbursement Rates for Lodging, Meals, Vehicle Mileage for current rates.
  • IME’s – Hourly wage at the time of the exam for missed work; meals; hotel expenses; taxi fare; parking costs; and ferry and bridge tolls.
  • Medical treatment and vocational training – With prior authorization for medical treatment or vocational retraining when worker must travel more than fifteen miles one-way from the worker’s home to the nearest point of adequate treatment or vocational retraining.  Travel expenses will not be paid if a worker chooses to seek treatment with a provider outside the fifteen mile home radius when adequate treatment is available inside the home area.

Out of State Injured Workers

  • Payment for some travel costs may be considered if travel is pre-approved by your claim manager.

What’s Next?

Want to Contact Us:

Telephone – Call for information or a free strategy session – 206-343-1988

Email Tell us Your Story – Ask your questions via email

WSAJ Eagle Badgecelebrating_badge