Why Do L&I and Employers Spy on Injured Workers?
L&I and employers are looking for evidence of willful misrepresentation and fraud from workers who collect L&I benefits. Willful misrepresentation and fraud are against the law.
What is Willful Misrepresentation?
Fraud is willful misrepresentation intended to result in financial gain.
- For injured workers fraud includes obtaining money and other benefits which they are not entitled to by willfully misrepresenting or omitting medical facts.
- For employers fraud includes under reporting hours or misclassifying workers.
What is a Fraud Order?
A fraud order is serious business. It is L&I’s way of saying you have done something wrong and we are coming after you. Do not ignore a fraud order. Protest, appeal, and otherwise deal with the order in timely fashion. GET A LAWYER.
Do I Need a Lawyer to Help with a Fraud Order?
If L&I is going to take back the value of the benefits you obtained you should consult with a workers compensation lawyer.
If law enforcement is going to charge you with fraud you should speak with a criminal lawyer.
Be careful with criminal charges, fraud is a felony. A felony conviction could follow you around for the rest of your life. Don’t let that happen to you.
What is willful Misrepresentation Reporting Requirement and Checklist?
It is a checklist of details about your claim that the L&I fraud division will look at when deciding whether to issue a fraud order.
This form will tell you a lot about how fraud claims are handled at L&I. Here is a link to the report form. Willful Misrepresentation Reporting Requirements and Checklist.
Where can I Find the L&I Fraud Law?
- RCW 51.32.240 (5) allows L&I to recoup all fraudulent payments together with a 50% penalty.
- RCW 51.48.020 provides that obtaining benefits by fraud is a felony or gross misdemeanor
Want More Information?
- (FAQ) Frequently Asked Questions About L&I Injuries with Helpful Answers
- L&I Attorney
- How To Disagree With An L&I Decision
How to Contact Us:
Telephone – Call for information or a free strategy session – 206-984-4009