Travel expense reimbursement is a benefit which some injured workers are eligible to receive. The benefit is small, and only available in some circumstances.
When Do You Get Reimbursement for Travel?
- Travel to and from IME’s at department’s or self-insurer’s request
- Travel to and from vocational services at department’s or self-insurer’s request
- Travel to and from fitting of prosthetic devices
- Travel to and from your medical treatment – with prior authorization
- Travel to and from your vocational training – with prior authorization
How Do You Get Reimbursed?
- Travel Reimbursement Request Form – Your request must be made within one year of the trip and must indicate the date, destination, and reason for travel. Reimbursement Request
- Save Receipts! Receipts are required for all expenses except parking expenses under $10.
What is a Travel Expense?
- Lodging, food, mileage, taxi, parking, tolls, etc.
When and How Much Travel Expense is Reimbursed?
- Travel expenses will be reimbursed at the current Department rate, subject to the Travel Rules below.
- The L&I travel reimbursement rules can be found at WAC 296-20-1103.
- Reimbursement is based on the current Domestic Per Diem rates. See Reimbursement Rates for Lodging, Meals, Vehicle Mileage for current rates.
- IME’s – Hourly wage at the time of the exam for missed work; meals; hotel expenses; taxi fare; parking costs; and ferry and bridge tolls.
- Medical treatment and vocational training – With prior authorization for medical treatment or vocational retraining, when worker must travel more than fifteen miles one-way from the worker’s home to the nearest point of adequate treatment or vocational retraining. Travel expenses will not be paid if a worker chooses to seek treatment with a provider outside the fifteen mile home radius when adequate treatment is available inside the home area.
Out of State Injured Workers
- Payment for some travel costs may be considered if travel is pre-approved by your claim manager.
L&I Travel Reimbursement Rules
The L&I travel reimbursement rules can be found at WAC 296-20-1103 and at L&I Claim Expense Reimbursement
Want to Contact Us:
Telephone – Call for information or a free strategy session – 206-343-1988
Email – Tell us Your Story – Ask your questions via email