The rights of an injured worker are subject to the performance of certain obligations. This means you can lose your rights if you don’t do certain things. At a minimum:
- You must report your accident to your employer and your doctor.
- You must file an accident report with L&I or the self-insuring employer within one year of a job injury, or within two years of written notice of an occupational disease. The sooner you file, the better. Your doctor should have these forms.
- You must always tell the truth when claiming benefits. Giving false information is a crime.
- You must cooperate with your doctor, employer, vocational consultant, and claims manager.
- You must comply with certain time deadlines. Pay attention to all paperwork that is sent to you, especially anything titled ORDER AND NOTICE. If you change your address, let L&I or the self-insurer know immediately.
If you miss a deadline, YOU COULD LOSE YOUR RIGHTS. If you don’t know what to do, get help before your rights expire.